Friday, November 7, 2008

Liberty and Justice for All

It was a bittersweet week for Mr. Peacock. I felt pure jubilation with the victory of our newly elected president, Barack Obama, however, I felt personally attacked by the passing of Proposition 8 in California. I cried both tears of joy and sadness. My partner and I are fortunate to live in a diverse and supportive city and neighborhood. I think everyone wants similar things in life: to have a job you like, to have a nice home and to have a loving spouse. Nobody wants to be alone and if you love someone, eventually it should lead to marriage. The passing of Proposition 8 and similar measures in other states, doesn’t allow that right to everyone. If you are a friend or family member of anyone who is gay or lesbian, please talk to as many people as you can about fairness and equality and engage those who might not know anyone gay or lesbian—many of these people are fearful and don't understand what marriage equality means. One of my favorite movies is Harold and Maude. In one scene Maude explains to Harold that you have to stand up for the important issues in life. Mr. Peacock will always stand up and march for equal rights and of course good taste. Thanks!

No comments: