Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hooray for Epaulettes

Mind you, Mr. Peacock is not keen on war, however I appreciate the design of military and police uniforms...

...particularly anything with epaulettes.

When I was in college, my mother found me an amazing vintage policeman’s shirt with epaulettes. It quickly became my favorite shirt. I had that shirt for over a decade, and whenever I wore it—people often mistook it as a designer piece.

My vintage cop shirt was cotton (similar to the shirt style-above right), but most of the new uniform shirts are a poly blend. I love the police uniforms in Italy! I tried to acquire one, but had no luck (FYI—I'm 42 regular, size medium, 32" waist).

Above, from left to right: Phillip Lim, Conference of Birds, and Michael Kors.

Many fashion designers borrow military uniform elements and incorporate them into their garments. I think epaulettes, or "little shoulders," flatter most men’s body types, by giving the appearance of broader shoulders.

Mr. Peacock loves the Spring 2009 collection of Apolis Activism—aptly called, Defend Tomorrow. It’s sort of a preppy vibe, with military touches. I really like the blue and mustard colors together.

This blue and red plaid shirt, with epaulettes, would be perfect for this spring.

In addition to the military inspired epaulettes, this grey shirt by Public School, has an interesting buttoned collar.

This denim military inspired shirt is very handsome too.

Dolce & Gabbana featured decorative shoulder epaulettes on gingham and striped shirts.

You can also find many great vintage inspired pieces with epaulettes and military styling, like this gingham shirt, and corduroy jacket.

Here’s a shot of my dad (second from the right), from the Korean War, sporting a jacket with epaulettes.

I focused on shirts, but there are many great outerwear pieces with epaulettes too.

What do you have in your wardrobe with epaulettes?

7 comments:

WhatsInYourManPurse.com said...

Wow. So many beautiful men in great shirts on this post. I've always wondered if there was a functional origin for the epaulette. Other than looking fantastic.

Barima said...

Trenchcoats only for me. Goes with the "variable weather" lifestyle we enjoy over here

jason said...

Nothing...quite yet :)

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

Quite sexy...
Mr P, originally I wanted to name the blog 'A Pair of Epaulettes?' but decided to go with what it is today! ~XO*

Anonymous said...

@whatsinyourmanpurse- as far as I know, the function is to hold removable insignia from military uniforms so you don't have to replace, say, a jacket every time you get promoted, as you would if the insignia was embroidered on.

I am a veteran, so i don't like epaulettes. I associate them with looking militant, which i now try to avoid. =)

maris.bueller said...

mmm if there's one thing I'm a sucker for, it's a guy wearing this type of shirt. definitely draws attention to the shoulders- the broader, the better...

ctherrell said...

i have a shirt of this type in my 'favorite clothing saved from college' bin. it's from banana republic, back in the day BEFORE the gap bought them and they put out this fantastic catalog. i think it's time to get it back out.